Since it began in 2006, staffers have cycled more than 325,000 miles as part of Burke’s Bike to Work program.
Biking to work encourages employee health, fitness and morale, not to mention supports the environment we work hard to protect.
As a bicycle-friendly business, The Burke Group (Burke’s parent company) is one of few non-bicycle-related businesses in the Midwest to have been awarded Platinum status by the League of American Bicyclists in recognition of our dedication to the bicycle and pedestrian community as well as to the clients we serve when providing bicycle and pedestrian planning, design and construction inspection services.
Our more than 180 Burke Group employee participants have eliminated approximately 625,000 pounds of CO2 created when commuting by car, burned over 15 million calories, and saved over $71,000 in gas money.
As part of the year-round Bike to Work program, we provide employee participants with a variety of perks and incentives, including:
- 75-cent reimbursement for every mile commuted by bike
- Health club shower passes
- Annual bike giveaway for most miles
- Quarterly giveaways for gear, such as vests, lights, flat kits and seat bags
- Discounts on parts and service from a local bike shop
- Yearly educational presentations from the Active Transportation Alliance
- Monthly commuter breakfasts